May 7, 2011

Mother Love

Mom says this is the best Mother's Day gift ever!
I'm not sending flowers or even a card to my mom on Mother's Day.  She taught me that it isn't necessarily meaningful to celebrate and commemorate people on one day per year. If you are really appreciative of someone, you'll mention it when the feeling strikes you--not just on the day named by  florists and greeting card makers as the day to appreciate them. Despite that sentiment, I am going to share with you my feelings about my mom on this Mother's Day weekend.

My mom is an amazingly supportive and caring person. I call her every single weekday morning and I thank her whenever I can for being my mentor, my friend and my foundation. I don't know what I would do without those daily phone calls. She lives hours away from me, but she helps me as much as if she was my neighbor. Through our daily talks I calm down when my children frazzle me with their morning antics. She listens to my concerns and frustrations; she laughs with me about the beautiful craziness that is my family; and she shares memories with me that I will cherish forever. Thank you, Mom. I will always love you! I celebrate you every day and am so thankful that you are such an integral part of my life.

Mother Earth is the mother of us all. When my children and husband ask me what I want for Mother's Day each year, the answer is always the same: let's enjoy the Earth! Traditionally, we plant things on Mother's Day weekend. This year we will be planting a butterfly bush that was given to me by my beautiful mother-in-law and preparing a garden patch for the tomato seedlings we started a few weeks ago.
Remember to celebrate our Mother Earth this weekend!


Children are the Future. Not just my children (whom I adore, admire, and marvel at on a daily basis) but all children. In every neighborhood there are children who struggle. So many mothers live alone, trying to support their families and raise their children. They do what they need to do and it never seems to be enough. They work day and night to make ends meet and then often face harsh criticism about their level of involvement with their children. I promise you that ALL MOTHERS do the best they can. No one gives birth to a child hoping that the child's life will be lonely, difficult, or sad. All mothers see their babies and see a vibrant ray of hope.

In the spirit of Mother's Day, I encourage you all to think about helping out a mom who is struggling. Invite her children to your home for a playdate. Make extra food and deliver it or freeze it for her family so that they can have a home-cooked meal. Ask if she needs anything from the grocery store. Do something to lighten the load of a single mom. Let's unite mothers everywhere...because it really does take a village to raise a child.

 Flickr: Some rights reserved by treesftf
Consider mentoring a child in your neighborhood who does not have the luxury of having a stay-at-home mom. Those kids who wander the neighborhood without parental supervision--they need your friendly face and your guidance, not your judgment.  Invite them to play in your yard and serve them some popcorn. Make them feel welcome and a part of the neighborhood. Be a mother to more than your own children. The world's children need all of the mothering they can get.

Visit the Mother's Day Rocks Blog Hop sponsored by  The Epic Adventures of a Modern Mom Blog

4 comments:

  1. Jen, thank you for this wonderful post. I'm not sending a card or flowers to my mom either, but I do celebrate her every day in various ways; I especially make a point of keeping in touch regularly. Not only is she my mother, but she's also one of my best friends. I owe her more than my life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for visiting, Nathalie! Your mom sounds wonderful. We are both very lucky to have such wonderful women in our lives!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Jen, these are some great ideas on alternative ways to celebrate Mother's Day. I really liked the idea about mentoring a child in the neighbourhood who doesn't have the luxury of a stay at home mom. Thanks for you words of wisdom!
    Also, thank you for joining my Mother’s Day Rocks Blog Hop!
    Char
    The Epic Adventures of a Modern Mom
    http://1epicmom.com/2011/05/06/mothers-day-rocks-blog-hop/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for visiting, Char! And I appreciate being a part of your hop :)

    ReplyDelete

What do you think? Start a conversation here!

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...