May 20, 2012

Life is Good!

Life is moving quickly! So many things happening and changing that I thought I'd share.
Golden Birthday: Saturday the 12th, my baby turned 12!

This was the message on the card from my youngest daughter :)
After opening his presents, he got ready to attend my graduation ceremony. I completed my Master's in Special Education after three years of hard work. I look back on those years and honestly don't remember how I did it: full-time job, three kids, and full-time graduate school. I've volunteered on two boards, somehow managed to bake birthday treats, keep the laundry clean, and the house running (somewhat) smoothly. I received an excellent card from my daughters and a keep-it-forever letter from my husband that made me cry. He has been such a wonderful supporter!




I couldn't have done it without my family!


My whole family came to watch me graduate, and then we went out to celebrate our accomplishment. I say "our" accomplishment because I really, truly, couldn't have done it without their support. My kids had to put up with me studying every weekend. My parents came to town to watch them when I had to study for exams or write papers. And my sister and brother-in-law have been two of my biggest cheerleaders.



The day after the ceremony was Mother's Day. We traveled to visit my mother-in-law, who I have been unable to visit regularly because of studying. It was great to see her and not worry about neglecting homework or housework!  We had a nice lunch together and enjoyed our family.

The rest of the week was a blur of work, school, softball and baseball games, dance classes, and a PTO meeting to plan our end of the year carnival. Baking, organizing volunteers, and worrying was a big part of my week, but it was worth it. The carnival was a huge success on Friday night! But I was so busy that I didn't get to take any pictures. I would just like to say that I am so thankful that so many community members came out to volunteer! We couldn't have hosted such a wonderful event without you all. 

A gift from one of my seniors.


At work, the last of my seniors finished their coursework. Yet another group of amazing young people will transition on to life after high school. As soon as I publish this post, I will be getting ready to see 7 of my students walk across the stage to receive their diplomas. They are strong, resilient, funny, and smart kids. I am so proud of each of them! I am so pleased to have had the chance to get to know them and wish them the best.




The boys after Water Balloon Dodge Ball


This weekend brought a belated celebration of my son's birthday (graduation and Mother's Day kind of interfered with his plans to celebrate with his friends!) He is such an easygoing kid when it comes to birthday parties. He always wants the same thing: a few friends over to play ball in the yard and have a video game tournament, homemade cake, and take & bake pizzas. His friends have gotten so big that my only worry was that there wouldn't be enough space in our house for them all! But it all worked out and yesterday they had a blast!




Now I'm looking toward another week or two of transitions. It is my last full week of working with students in my alternative high school classroom. After 14 years in one job, I am leaving for a new position closer to home. I am excited about the new job, but it sure is going to be hard to say goodbye. I have a lot to do to make it through the change.  

Next week, my baby is graduating from elementary school and moving on to junior high. I'm wondering how I am going to get through that graduation ceremony---better bring a box of tissues!

My kids are finishing up another school year and getting geared up for our summer of fun (At least I hope it will be fun! For the first time in years, I don't have to take classes :-)  I hope to catch up with all my Tweeps, take the kids swimming a lot, and relax...before the next school year starts and we do it all again! Busy, busy, busy...but I wouldn't change a thing. Life is good!


6 comments:

  1. Congratulations to you and happy birthday to your son!  You are simply amazing! I'm know your family has to be extremely proud of you.  I for one, am very proud to call you my friend.  Can't wait to read updates about your new job.  

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much, Tara! So glad to have you as a friend, too :) xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are an inspiring busy lady.  Happy birthday to the young one and super congratulations on your graduation and the new job.  Good luck and best wishes. 

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jen, I am so inspired by you. You're an example of all that can be accomplished, in spite of a demanding schedule. Sending you major cyber hugs on your graduation, your baby's bday and the graduation of your amazing students who were so blessed to have you as their guardian angel. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, Ezzy! Now that I am done with that schooling part of my life, I will be watching your success and rooting for you. You are amazing! 2 jobs? school? family and new puppy? Talk about inspiring! We need to catch up sometime so you can tell me about your classes :)

    ReplyDelete

What do you think? Start a conversation here!

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...