Oct 28, 2012

Life is a Team Sport

My days often feel like a never-ending treadmill. Lots of stuff going on all the time...I haven't had much time to be on any social media or to write here. I hope that some of you are still out there reading and apologize that I haven't been writing as much lately!

Here are some of the things I've been up to and thinking about:

A FAMILY OF ATHLETES!?!

If you've known me for a long time, then you know that I have never really been athletic or coordinated. The only activity I've ever been able to master is running (one foot in front of the other, no team to disappoint!) and I injured myself multiple times at that. So it is amazing to me to have not one, not two, but THREE young athletes in the family! Where did they get these athletic genes from? It's a mystery to me! So far this school year, my son has played junior high football, basketball, and is also on a club basketball team. My middle daughter is just about done with volleyball season, and is taking multiple dance classes. My youngest just joined a club basketball team and is also a dancer. We run from school to practice to game, often eating in the van on the way from one thing to another. It is crazy-busy almost every day of the week and I don't know how my husband and I keep up with it! I really don't. I know that I fall into bed in a heap every night and can barely stay awake after the kids are in bed. But it is fun to watch them play, to cheer them on, and to see them having fun!

She gets a dig! My daughter at the net during a game.
My son, front/center, after a basketball tournament.

The newest baller in our house, wearing Michael Jordan's number!
PROUD TO BE A PART OF THE TEAM 

My new job is becoming less of a mystery as I learn who my students are, who my colleagues are, and how to go about day to day business. I just have to say that I really am proud to be a part of a great school, doing great things for all kinds of kids.  This week I was very impressed by the way my administrative team handled several student crises, including two physical altercations. One of my students initiated an act of aggression before school. After an act of physical violence, it is easy for any principal to become angry and look at punishing the student aggressor. But it is much harder to look at that student and realize that there might be a hurt, scared child inside of their teenage body, a child who is acting out in the only way they know how. This week I saw my principal and assistant principal take the more difficult path. One spoke in a soothing voice, rubbing the student's shoulder, reminding the student, "Inside, I know you have a good heart. I believe in you. You are a caring person who can not only graduate, but go on to do good things." The other did not demand that a working mother drop everything and come get her aggressive child. Instead she called the mother, got permission to drive the student home herself, and met with the family to make a plan to prevent further acts of aggression at school.

My new team makes me proud to be an educator. They truly put students and families first, even when it is not the easiest or most common way of doing business. 

IS IT EVER ENOUGH?

With every day being a never-ending treadmill, I have this constant gnawing feeling that I am falling behind. I can't stop wondering if I am doing enough for my kids, doing enough at my job. I was feeling really inadequate last weekend as I sat in my messy house wondering when I'd ever have time to do everything that needs to be done. Of course, whenever things are that busy and I'm stressing about how to get it all done, mother nature forces me to take a break by sending me some germs! I was forced to spend a day in bed with a sore throat and cough. While trying to sleep, I took a few minutes to browse Pinterest and came across this---and instantly felt better. Hope it offers the same sigh of relief for you that it did for me!

2 comments:

  1. Jen, I'm so happy to hear that you have a support network and safety net at school. It takes a completely different mindset to do what that principal did. Rather than seeing a delinquent, he saw a "troubled" child, knowing that there were other triggers for his behavior, not related to school. As for the dust-bunnies, do as I do, let them breed! As women, we NEVER feel as though we're doing ENOUGH. Ever. Family comes first. Please keep this as your outlet, even if your posts are infrequent, because you inspire through example. Hugs and encouragement to you, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ezzy, I am so relieved to hear that someone else has dust-bunnies :) And thank you for continuing to read my infrequent posts. I love having this outlet and will keep writing whenever I can.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think? Start a conversation here!

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...